... and not breaking. As I mentioned in my last post I'm relaxing my 'painted miniatures on the table' rule so Carl and I could actually play the game of Napoleon's Battles, Scenario Two: Austrians at bay the we've been wanting to.
I blu-taced (is this a word?) the unpainted and in some cases incompletely painted infantry on to the MDF 40x40 mm bases I intend on using for them and cut bases out from balsa wood for the cavalry, artillery and commanders. I once again used Blu-tac to fix these miniatures to their bases, these are temporary and I've got a bit of balsa wood to spare.The cavalry were placed on 50x50mm bases with 2 miniatures per base, I put two of these bases together to make up one Napoleon's Battles cavalry base. For the artillery and commanders I followed the suggestion given in Napoleon's Battles and doubled the suggested 15mm base sizes.
Carl on the other hand increased the base size for his Austrians by 1.5 times the suggested size, working of the rationale that was close enough to the increase in scale for 15mm to 25/28mm. Our dissimilar basing schemes didn't provide any problems when we played the game, they were close enough to be good enough.
We played on a 6 x 4 area, the scenario as written for 15mm scale is played out on a 3 x 3 foot area. We also increased all ranges and distances by the 1.5 times, this seemed to work well as we played.
The game played well, I pushed Carl's left flank and we both were reminded just how lethal cannon can be. At the end of the day I conceded the game to Carl. He had 3 lost three brigades, where I lost four and if we were to continue playing a fifth brigade would disperse under continuing barrage from Carl's artillery. The loss of the fifth brigade would break my army, so it was a win for Carl.