26 December 2015

Day Break At Hangman's Creek

I played my first game of Black Powder over at Carl's earlier in the week. We used miniatures from his 15mm scale American Civil War collection and played out the 'Daybreak at Hangman's Creek' scenario from the Black Powder rulebook. As I said this was the first time I actually played a game of Black Powder and the second for Carl, so after dicing for sides we took our time to step through the rules making sure we understood them.

With command of the Confederate forces I attempted to close on Carl's Union troops who were camped in and around the afore mentioned Hangman's Creek. Sometimes I found the rules to be a little wordy and a couple of times found the meaning of the rules lost amongst them. You might say I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Apart from these few moments we found the game play to be straight forward and the game turns passed quickly until Carl broken enough of my units for me to lose the game.

I found Black Powder to be a fun simple set of rules. This isn't Empire or Piquet and like a lot of the current generation of rules, uses special rules or traits to add flavour to units in a game. But surprisingly the rules seem to encourage the right behaviour from units of close order troops either in column or line under a players control on the tabletop.

As a rule of thumb if a set of rules has your miniatures acting in a manner similar their real world counterparts and it's not a chore to play the game then something right must be happening, so Black Powder even with it's verbose language sometimes hiding the actual rules is some thing I'll play again. 





2 comments:

Gonsalvo said...

Glad to see you get a game in, Derek! BP, with it's variable roll for movement, is a bit FoB-esque ion that regard. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!

derek said...

Thanks. Christmas certainly was worth the effort :) Good food, lots of hugs, my youngest daughter is powered by hugs, or so she claims. A stack of wargaming goodies. Including a minion in napoleonic dress to help 'Plan N' along.

Watched the extended version of the 'Battle Of The Five Armies', worth it for the dwarf goat cavalry alone. Saw 'The Force Awakens' boxing day, also worth it. Came home and watched the Doctor Who Christmas special, always worth it. And would you believe I still had time to put paint to miniatures :)