19 January 2016

"Intensify the forward batteries, I don't want anything to get through." - Star Wars Armada AND X Wing - Game In Progress

Here are some photos of a game Beth and I are currently playing and yes that's right, the title of this post is correct. It's a combined X wing, armada game. This is something Beth and I have wanted to do ever since we started buying armada.

We're playing a 600 point armada game with Beth controlling the Imperial side and myself the Rebels. It's a normal six turn game with 'Most Wanted' objective in play. Beth opted to keep the table clear of terrain and I choose the Mon Calamari star cruiser as the bonus points objective for the Imperial force and the Victory class star destroyer for the rebel force.

As the Rebel force commander my plan is to take my three assault frigates and the star cruiser and drive to my left, presenting my starboard broadside and try to loop around to the Imperial rear. My two corvettes and fighters are headed to the right, effectively a pincer.


We set up a 3 x 3 foot area at the end of the table intending to fight out any fighter engagements that occurred in the armada game. The first fighter engagement was straight forward, in the second armada turn a flight of A wings led by Tycho Celchu was bounced by three tie fighters under the command of 'Howlrunner'. 


On advice from the 'Ginger Sith' we decided to run three X wing game turns for each fighter engagement, on completion of those three turns we would return to the armada game. To determine the points for this engagement we started with 50 points and added D6 x 10. Beth got 110 points and I rolled 70. Both of us were required to take the unique pilots and obviously only the upgrades that were available to my A wings and Beth's tie are allowed, within the budget we both just rolled.


I did rather well, taking down Howlrunner's wing mates with proton rockets and after the third X wing turn we returned to the armada game. 


In the squadron phase of the turn the Millennium Falcon crashed Howlrunner's party and since it had the 'rogue' trait allowing it to move and attack in the phase we returned to the X wing game. This time we only allowed one turn as it was an ongoing dogfight. Howlrunner served away avoiding my fire and so we returned to the armada game.


With turn three Beth closed with my battle-line of cruiser and assault frigates but pushed her raider and two Gladiator class star destroyers across her front towards my fighters and corvettes trading shots with me as she went. She also sent two flights of advanced ties under Darth Vader to reinforce Howlrunner, because of the logistics of the situation, the lack of table space we held off resolving that until we knew what was happening with the other fighters. With a bit more table space we could have played out the three turns of the existing dogfight. Leave that, then set up another game for the engagement that was developing between Soontir Fel, two flights of tie inceptors, Wedge Antilles, X wings, Y wings and a corvette as it developed. 


But we opted to finish the squadron phase and deal with both dogfights next session .....



No comments: