19 December 2016

Second World War Brashness.

Carl dropped over for a game the other night and we played 'Flames Of War'. It was an excuse for me to resurrect my 'late-war' British army. Some time ago I had my models and miniatures neatly laid out in a tray and one of my son's friends dropped something on the tray causing some damage. Personally I think I took the mishap well. I carefully put the tray away in a cupboard and didn't look at them for a very long time (Lachlan's friend got to continue living with all his body parts in the right places as well). Anyway Carl's inexplicable enthusiasm for 'Flames Of War' has nudged me to do something about them. So armed with some glue I set about repairing the damage, which wasn't as bad as I thought, I put together an armoured squadron and had a game with Carl, during which I was throughly thrashed.


But after the game I got to thinking. It might be nice to have one more platoon of Sherman tanks and immediately reminded myself that I was in the middle of a push to finish my initial Bolt Action / KonFlikt'47 American force and once that's complete I'm heading back to my 'painting queue'. But then I noticed this at the local gaming shop, with a discount of 40% off the marked price, too good to pass up. Now I have that extra platoon and then some, that german Marder I pickup years ago will finally have some friends.



But of course it's going under the tree for Christmas, honest.



2 comments:

Ski said...

Oh, the siren song of Flames of War... I've done well to resist it since they changed to "third edition" a couple of years ago. Although I wish I still had my minis it felt good to put it down, cold turkey, and not go back.

Derek Fulton said...

G'Day

No. I don't think it's a siren song of Flames Of War. It's more the case of the nice miniatures, a bargain too good to pass up and a fun opponent to play against. Having several world war 2 rule sets I can use with the miniatures also helps too :)

Cheers

Derek